Skip to main content

We Heard You...Another Thought On The EBWW

Now that the euphoria of the Erma Bombeck Writer's Workshop has begun to fade I find myself wondering if it had somehow been a dream. Over 300 of the funniest women around sprinkled with just a handful of men brave enough to withstand such an estrogen filled space. 

 At my first workshop in 2012, I made a lot of friends but was still somewhat shy when I found myself in the company of a famous person. Most of the pictures that I took that year were from the back-- from the back of the ballroom, the back of the classroom and even from the back of the Bombeck family.

Yes, I was so in awe of this family that I followed them around and took pictures of the backs of their heads because I sat behind them whenever I could. 

Fast forward two years and my how things had changed. No more sitting in the back and stalking the Bombecks from behind. In fact, I never really got close to the family this year. (I don't know if they had called security on me or not.) I did exchange greetings with Betsy once in a hallway as we walked past one another. 

No, this year I felt that I had a right to be here--more so, than just having paid the registration fee.  My humor blog, Reflections On A Middle-Aged Fat Woman has been around since early 2008. I have now successfully published two books with several more in the works.  As I had been repeatedly told at the first conference that I attended that "I was a writer", I actually did feel like a writer.  I was writing. I was producing--maybe not as successful as I would like to be, but the words were there-- for the entire world to see.

If only they could find me.

If only they could hear me.

That's the tough thing about being a writer, it's tough to get noticed unless A.) You've done something really stupid that was caught on tape or B.) You're a celebrity and have done something stupid that was caught on tape and are now going to write a memoir.  Anyhow, unless you sell a million copies of said memoir, you're new found fame will be as fleeting as a shooting star.

So, that brings me back around to where I started. I know that the EBWW wasn't a dream, because I have the credit card receipts to prove it plus a few unflattering photos. Everyone wants to be heard, to tell their story and that's what I learned at this year's workshop.

From the first night at the EBWW awards ceremony, I heard stories from women that just want to be heard. From the winners that read their story aloud to those of us sitting in the audience, happy to be with other like-minded individuals that just wanted to share a laugh or even tell their own story.
   
We wanted to be heard.

And so I listened.

And I observed.

And I listened some more, interjecting a helpful comment when I could or a smile of encouragement when the conversation lagged. On several occasions, there were multiple discussions on every imaginable topic that you could think of. 

How many months or years had some of these women struggled to be heard by someone other their mother, a three-year-old child or a husband that was only concerned if dinner was going to be late? They needed to heard, and hopefully as others reflect back on our time together that will be a highlight for some. 

That they were heard and we did listen.

One evening I sat outside with Dr. Gina Barrecca and Judy Carter and observed two masters at work. They observed, interjected when needed and offered thoughts to help out "the newbies"--those that want to achieve a modicum of success in the humor world.

 But, mostly, they listened.

The camaraderie of the workshop is something that I wish I could bottle, put away and then pull it out anytime I felt like I'm not being heard or the daily routine begins to suck the brightness from the room.

I think that is why Erma Bombeck left such a lasting mark on the feminine culture. She took the daily routine and put it out for the whole world to see and she was being heard. Not only was she being heard but she was selling it too and people were buying it
.
Even though 50 years has nearly passed since Erma started writing her columns, women are still struggling to be heard. No greater instance to this fact can be observed than the recent hiring of Stephen Colbert as the new host of The Late Show. What about Tina Fey? What about Chelsea Handler? What about Whoopi Goldberg? Or Melissa McCarthy? Or Judy Carter? Or Gina Barrecca?

What about Erma Bombeck? If alive today, would she have been a candidate for the job? I'd like to think so, but in all reality, she probably wasn't blond enough, or stacked enough to get the male demographic that seems to control most of the purse strings in show business.

But wouldn't it be ironic if they had approached her with an offer and she turned them down. "I don't want this job," she might say, "11:30, that's way past my bedtime and I've got a house to run, a column to write, and dinner to cook. Besides, everyone knows that television adds ten pounds to a person; I'd have to be on a diet the rest of my life."

Listening is something that can be done every day. So, I encourage you to keep telling your stories, to listen to others when you can and to keep laughing.

I'm not sure who said it, but laughter is indeed the best medicine.

(And if you find yourself in need of a dose of sunshine from the EBWW, just look me up. I have it available for sale for only $19.99 and I'll be happy to listen.)


Comments

Wanda said…
One of your best, by far. I'm proud to count you among my friends - one I met at the 2012 EBWW.
Janine T said…
Are you sure you weren't in a room when someone asked Erma about a late night gig? You have her response down perfectly! Great piece, thank you for putting it so eloquently. Now, how do I order that bottle of EBWW2014??
Teri Foltz said…
"The camaraderie of the workshop is something that I wish I could bottle, put away and then pull it out anytime I felt like I'm not being heard or the daily routine begins to suck the brightness from the room."
YES, I loved this piece!
The world is large enough to hold all our talent...maybe you won't get read or listened to or noticed by EVEYONE in the world, but you got my attention...wonderfully written. And I agree that EBWW reminds us that we are indeed writers and as long as there are writers, there will be readers. Thank you for this.
Pat wynn Brown said…
This is a beautiful and wonderfully crafted piece with novel and funny insights and I loved every word of it including AND and THE....
You can write. I love your take on EBWW. And I agree about bottling up the essence of the workshop and taking a whiff when you need to be uplifted. Well put.
BTW: You and I passed in the hallway. I always smiled at you and you always smiled at me. And we spoke once...you helped me hunt down our mutual friend.
Carolyn Plath said…
Good job G! I remain jealous that you were there and I was here. Glad you had a good time!
Gianetta said…
Wanda- Thanks so much. I'm so glad we got to meet again at this year's EBWW.
Gianetta said…
Janie- Thanks so much. I'll let you have a bottle of the EBWW essence for half price if you promise to tell a friend about it.
Gianetta said…
Teri- I'm so glad you enjoyed it. And it really is nice to be heard and appreciated by someone other than your family every once in a while. Thank you.
Gianetta said…
Pat Wynn Brown- Thank you! You were certainly the hostess with the mostess!
Gianetta said…
Darlene- I remember passing you but I can't remember which friend we were looking for. I'm sure we could get $19.99 a bottle for the EBWW essence; I just need to come up with a marketing and distribution plan.
Gianetta said…
Carolyn- Thanks. There is always 2016...

Popular posts from this blog

The Thing About Handicapped Parking

Throughout my lifetime I have become an observer of many situations and problems that would otherwise go unnoticed. One such problem is handicapped parking. Everyone knows that handicapped parking is a good idea and helps millions of folks patronize businesses that they normally wouldn't. The handicapped parking spot is great because it allows the disabled to get as close as possible to a business without actually driving inside. But, here's the problem: Once they have finished their shopping and returned to their vehicles there isn't any place for them to return the shopping cart. I'm talking about large parking lots. Most cart returns begin at least six parking spaces down from the handicapped spots. The person is forced to choose between a spot close to the door and a spot close to the cart return. Ever wonder why there are so many shopping carts at the beginning of a row and not in the return area? That might be the reason. Maybe the designers of the parking lots do

Confederate Bean Soup...A Paula Deen Recipe

In keeping with my New Year resolutions I am trying to cook more at home and eat out less. This is a favorite recipe of mine. Confederate Bean Soup: This a great soup to make when you have leftover baked beans. If you don't have leftovers, you can substitute Bush's baked beans. (I had that and I also added a can of Bush's hot chili beans.) 1/2 pound of smoked sausage, slice in 1/4 in slices (I used a whole pound) 2 slices bacon, diced (I used ham lunchmeat) 1 clove garlic, minced 1 medium onion, diced (I omitted the onions, because I'm allergic to them) 1/2 green bell pepper, diced (optional) (I didn't choose this option) 2 tablespoons butter 2 cups Bush's baked beans or leftovers 1 1/2 cups half-n-half (I used 2 cups) Saute sausage, bacon, onions, garlic and peppers in butter until bacon is cooked. Add beans and simmer for a few minutes over medium to low heat. Add half-n-half. Increase or decrease h-n-h for preferred thickness. Serve with hot